"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empites today of its strength." ~Corrie ten Boom

Friday, July 23, 2010

Gathering

Today the girls and I spent some time gathering food for dinner and hopefully some memories. In our garden we picked all of the peas that were ready and gathered some lettuce and carrots for a salad. We took the peas back to the patio and Hannah helped me shell them. She loves to help. Helena spent her time sampling the raw peas and then spitting them out.


We didn't grow any potatoes in our garden but the farmer next door let us get some for a batch of creamed new potatoes and peas. I grew up in a potato farming family but didn't even know about creamed new potatoes and peas. I guess it took marrying someone that grew up growing potatoes find out about this yummy dish. I'm pretty sure this is the sole reason Ben plants peas in the garden.

Hannah was SO excited to find out that Mommy and Daddy have lost their shovels and we would have to take her "kid sized" shovel to the field. If the shovel is going the wheel barrow must too.

Proud Hannah with her load of potatoes.


Helena spent some time eating dirt. Are you seeing the trend here? She is still eating everything. This is one stage I could live without. I guess she'll have a strong immune system??

We brought the potatoes back to the house and I put Hannah in charge of washing them. I kept checking on her and the potatoes kept disappearing. I finally found that she was slipping them through the chain link fence into the dog's/bummer calf's water bucket. It's a good thing these spuds are going to see a hard boil before we eat them tonight.

So on the menu for tonight is T-Bone steaks from home grown beef, creamed new potatoes and peas, and green salad. It almost never happens that we can collect all of our dinner from right here around the house, but it's kind of fun when we can.

2 comments:

Renee said...

that is sooo awesome! sounds like you had a yummy dinner! we had pork chops and mashed potatoes...from farm safeway hehe

Uncle Luke said...

I'm HUNGRY...T-bone, potatoes and peas, and greens--that would be fantastic. I'm so hungry I would even eat some dirt with little Helena. Wish I was there to eat with you all.

Uncle Luke