"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empites today of its strength." ~Corrie ten Boom

Monday, August 2, 2010

"Camping"

We received a tent and sleeping bags when we got married. I think we have used the tent once and definitely not since having kids. I haven't been brave enough to take the girls camping yet. Call me a wimp if you want, but it just doesn't sound the least bit relaxing. I would like to enjoy my vacations if at all possible. So, an improvised "camping trip" was in order.

Hannah's cousin was up at their Grandparent's house enjoying a camp fire and was planning to sleep under the stars. I thought, we could probably manage a little camping in the back yard.

So, the plan was to set up the tent, go up and roast marshmallows, and then come back down and sleep in the tent. Helena was ready for bed so I put her to bed in the house. Hannah, Ben and I set up the tent and got it all ready.








We roasted our marshmallows and returned home to sleep in the tent. After laying next to Hannah and repeatedly reminding her to close her eyes, she finally fell asleep. It was about this time the neighbor's dog started barking. At some point I managed to get to sleep, that is until I heard Helena over the baby monitor. I raced from the tent to her room to find her Daddy with her, and she was crying "Mama, Mama...." I got her back to sleep, but then I couldn't get back to sleep because of the darn dog barking. About midnight I called for a retreat to the house. I carried a sleeping Hannah to her bed and fell asleep myself. About 5:00 am I woke up to the sound of the spray planes firing up for the morning. This is when I realized I would not have gotten much sleep out there anyway. Hannah woke up the next morning in tears because we weren't in the tent. Next year my dear, next year......

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

That's a great funny story. I suppose it's funnier for us who didn't have to experience it. You're a good mom!

DuVal Family said...

Thanks Jacqui. It was kind of funny but I finally had to put getting some sleep ahead of our camping experience. :)