"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empites today of its strength." ~Corrie ten Boom

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Daddy Requested & Hannah Approved

A few nights ago Ben suggested that I make his Grandma's candy cane cookies. I wasn't sure if I had ever had them and he couldn't tell me for sure what they had in them. I tried to call Grandma yesterday but didn't get a hold of her. I settled for some sugar cookie cutouts (that I have never gotten around to frosting) after looking on the internet for a recipe like his Grandma's. Really I knew it was a waste of time since they probably wouldn't be nearly as good.

Hannah and I got home from a little holiday outing when I remembered about the cookies again. I tried Grandma and got a hold of her. She was happy to give me the recipe and I thought I would share it. I didn't take copious notes as she was telling it to me but I will share with you what seemed to work for me.

Candy Cane Cookies (Makes 4 dozen)
1 c. shortening (I used 1/2 c. butter & 1/2 c. Crisco)
1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract (I used vanilla)
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. red food coloring (I used food coloring paste until I liked the color)

1/2 c. crushed candy canes
1/2 c. sugar
Mix together. I found that half of this mixture was more than enough.

Cream together the shortening, powdered sugar, egg, and almond extract. Combine the flour and salt. Add to the creamed mixture. Divide the dough in half. Color one half with red food coloring. For each cookie take 1 teaspoon of each color. On a lightly floured surface, roll each color of dough out separately into a rope about 4 inches long. Twist the two ropes together and make a hook at the top in the shape of a candy cane. Make one complete cookie before moving on to the next. If you roll out all of the white dough and then all of the red they will be too dry to work with.

Bake for 9 minutes or until the edges have lightly started to brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with candy cane and sugar mixture. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet, or at least until they hold their shape and you can move them to a wire rack. Enjoy!


When Hannah asked for a cookie yesterday I gave her an unfrosted sugar cookie cutout. I later found them partially eaten and laying around the house. Today when she asked for a cookie she got one of Grandma's Candy Cane Cookies. She proceeded to eat the entire thing and then ask for more. They are definitely kid tested and husband approved!

2 comments:

Kari said...

yay! I made a cream cheese one yesterday that Kevin approved...the recipe was in the cookie press box! He's already eaten a pile, course the kids wont touch them, even with them colored pink! go figure!

Anonymous said...

candy canes look yummy!! Luv ya's