"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empites today of its strength." ~Corrie ten Boom

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It Has Started

The calves are here! We had our first calf on Thursday so I'm a little bit slow with this post. I have been busy chasing Hannah and watching the cows. Just like a watched pot never boils I think that a watched cow never calves. Sometimes I have to tell myself to put the binoculars down and get back to work. We have had two more calves since the one in this picture and as I type this there's one on its way.

I have put a calf count on the left side of the blog at the top in case you are wondering how things are going. I can't promise to keep it really current but I will do my best. We don't really have that many cows so the counts won't go too high. Our herd size is confined by the very limited supply of pasture for rent in our area. My goal is to exclusively have a registered herd in hopes of maximizing the amount of money that can be made off of such a small group of animals. We baby them so we might as well reap a few of the rewards for our efforts. Right now we have a mixed herd of commercial and registered cows.

For any of you that might have been worried about me checking the cows in the middle of the night there's no need. All that I really do it get in the pickup, drive out into the pen, and use the spot light to check the cow's status. If a calf needs to come in or a cow is having trouble I have been made to promise that I will get help. Trust me this pregnant lady is not walking around in the dark in a herd of cows. I can't move fast enough for that right now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do understand the not being able to move fast enough!! Keep up the good owrk luv!

Anonymous said...

Do understand the not being able to move fast enough!! Keep up the good work luv!