"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empites today of its strength." ~Corrie ten Boom

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Seeing Black

It has always been my dream to have a herd of registered Black Angus cows. For the past five years we have been running a small herd of commercial Angus cows. Pasture has been getting tight for us and it has been a hassle with a new little one to be moving the cows from place to place. We decided to sell off our herd this coming spring and buy just a few registered cows this fall to keep at the house.

This was the weekend to buy the registered cows. Hannah, my Mom and I spent three long days in the Redmond-Madras area. My best guess is that there were 350 animals for sale over the course of the three days. By the time I was done all that I could see was black. They all started to look the same and it felt like I couldn't tell one end from the other. We went to a sale each day and came home with three new cows. They are a little bit on the old side but we have to start somewhere. It wasn't really in our budget to buy the $40,000 top selling animal. My Mom spent some time watching Hannah while I sat through the auctions. Hannah did really well overall. She is currently on car seat strike so we will probably be hanging close to home for the next few days. We made it home late last night and picked up the cows today from our friends Ty and Brooke who hauled them home for us. They seem to have settled right in with the rest of the herd. We are expecting a calf out of one of them early next month.

All bundled up and ready for the sale on Saturday. She could hardly move in the suit.

We're ready to go look at cows!


Hannah and I trying to find the cows we want to look at and then trying to decide which to buy.


The munchkin clan. Brooke, Cade, Hannah and I.


Hannah and I at the sale on Sunday. It got very rainy and cold shortly after this picture.


Hannah trying to give me a kiss!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love the blog page. Since I'm so far away up here in Washington it helps me feel connected to you guys. Lots of love! Cari