"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empites today of its strength." ~Corrie ten Boom

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

We are FINSHED!

Calving that is. We had our last calf today. One of our purebred cows had a heifer a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately for the calf we aren't sure who her Daddy is. We have in narrowed down to two different bulls. Silly cow I wish she could tell us. I'm sure she remembers who the Daddy is. We are working on figuring it out, but in the meantime I hope the calf doesn't develop a complex or a poor self esteem.

So I guess I will sleep easier for the next 10 months without any calves to worry about entering this cold, cold world. Ha ha! For any of you that know how well we sleep around here sometimes, I guess I will sleep with one less thing on my mind but maybe not any better.

The grand total for the year was 7 bull calves and 5 heifer calves. It was an OK year considering we haven't had a winter this bad in quite awhile. We lost one pregnant cow (she tried to die on us before) and two calves. We beat ourselves up over it sometimes but as Ben said, "If you have livestock you're going to have dead-stock." So true. I guess it's just part of life. The joy comes from watching the calves run around and play. We even have one that has befriended the feed wagon. I regularly have to chase him away from it so we can get out of the gate. He's a persistent little guy. Enjoy all of the new life that comes with spring!



1 comment:

Kari said...

haha...dead stock...isn't that what the hippies from woodstock have become???